Historic photos of Coalburn Station and the railway
The Station opened in the 1850s and closed in 1965. Freight continued on the line as far as Auchlochan No 9 Colliery until 1968 when the branch was closed.
Map of the rail system in Coalburn and district, showing the dates of opening and closing of the lines
Entrance to Coalburn Station c. 1905.
Coalburn Station. c 1910. Copy of postcard showing station, station gates, Station Hotel, chimney of Poneil Pit and horse-drawn vehicles in front of post office.
Beyond the station level crossing gates, the line continued to the colleries at Bankend. The Coalburn Inn can be seen and, above it, the Post Office.
At Coalburn Station on the 6th July 1955, BR 4MT 2-6-4T No. 80055 and crew pause prior to working the 19.18 to Hamilton. Photo: J.N.Faulkner.
Coalburn Signal Box, railway gates and entrance to station, 1955. Photo; the late Jim Hamilton.
The station on 4 September 1965, one month before closure. By this time the level crossing gates had been removed. The diesel multiple units did not need access to the runround loop at Bankend and buffers were in place at the end of the station. Photo: F A Landery
Last passenger train at Coalburn Station (a Metro-Cammell diesel multiple unit) on 4th October 1965
Coalburn station staff - Caledonian Railway (1920s-1930s). Top row (L to R): John Hamilton, Bob Anderson, Jimmy Fulton. Seated: Alex McInnes, Tommy Burnside, Peter Hunter, Willie Brown
During the 1939-45 war, railwaymen were called up to the armed forces and ladies were taken on to man the stations. This group was photographed at Coalburn Station in the LMS era in 1943.
Train at Bankend
Signal Box at Bankend. Bobby French is at the stairs. Apologies for the condition of this photo.