Historic photos of Blackwood, South Lanarkshire
Although Blackwood and Kirkmuirhill today are merged, their history viewed them as separate villages. These excerpts from the Glasgow and Lanarkshire Illustrated in 1904 make interesting reading./p>
A postcard of Blackwood House. Date not known
Hothouses at Blackwood House. Date not known
Curling at Blackwood Loch in the 1920s.
Blackwood Village looking towards Glasgow c. 1900
Blackwood Main Street pre 1920s
A postcard franked 1917 which shows Carlisle Road at Blackwood before it was tarmacadamed and this was the main route between Glasgow and Carlisle. It would seem that some labourers are wending their way homeward after the day's toil was over.
Blackwood Cross pre 1910
Carlisle Road, Blackwood c. 1950
Photograph taken in 1960s of tenement building (since demolished) at corner of Carlisle Road and Vere Road. A police station with cells was within the building and later, the surgery of Dr Barr was housed there.
Rear of the building outside with stairs and built-on toilets.
Blackwood Cross in 2017. Photo: David Halls
Blackwood Cottage in the 1950s on Vere Road. This has since been demolished
Blackwood School on the right, latterly only for primary pupils. In conversation with Jim Hamilton, Nancy Clelland explained that when she was young, it was a Primary and Advanced Division school. She remembered that Auchenheath school travelled to Blackwood School on Fridays for cookery or woodwork.
The new Blackwood School in 2017. Photo: David Halls
Photographs of Our Lady and St John's Church, Blackwood taken in 1995 by Jim Hamilton. The Church was opened on the 16th December 1880.
This photo dating from 1963 show the nurseries belonging to the Fairservice family at Southfield Road, now used for housing. On the right are the tennis courts and at the top, the old railway line can be seen.
Former stationmaster's house at Blackwood, now demolished.
Railway memories of Willam Kerr
"A branch line from Tillietudlem was also constructed into Blackwood and on to Dunduff quarry which supplied whinstone road metal for the roads department of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire. Both the goods yard and passenger station at Blackwood were just beyond the school and the stationmaster's house, the booking office and the platform were close up against the fence of the sleepers which separated the station from the school playground.
I remember around 1898 0r 1899 climbing up to look over the fence to see the Grand Duke Michael of Russia arrive by train when he was going to stay at Blackwood House. The lairs with his carriage was there to meet the Grand Duke, and there were other conveyances for his servants and luggage. A red carpet was rolled out on the platform.
The Dunduff line passed the other side of the school, crossed the Carlisle Road at a level crossing with large white gates, and went on uphiil and crossed at another level crossing, the Kirkmuirhill to Blackwood Road. Alongside the rails between the two roads was a fenced-off right of way. Every afternoon atrain of empty wagons went up and a train of full wagons came down. Many men from Boghead and Kirkmuirhill were employed at the quarry. The quarry was eventually closed and filled up with water. The railway was no longer required and the rails were taken up. "
Dunduff Quarry about 1900. The stone was mainly quarried for road building: vast amounts were used on the construction of the railway from Larkhall to Auldton Heights in the years to 1905.
The pug at Dunduff Quarry.
Prepared: 08 May 2018 DJH.